Travel like a Leader... share your tips and advice.

Whether for an advocacy day, a healthcare conference, home for the holidays or a well deserved vacation - at some point we all have to travel. What are your tips for traveling with a health condition? Share them here.
:airplane::flight_departure::airplane::bus::blue_car::bus::mountain_railway::train2::steam_locomotive::train2::mountain_railway::bus::blue_car::bus::airplane::flight_departure::airplane:

1 Like

When I book my flight, I let the airline know that I request a wheelchair from the ticketing area to the gate and upon arrival from the plan to baggage claim, I have trouble walking and standing for prolonged periods so this helps me arrive as fresh as I can.

Wearing a mask that covers my nose and mouth helps keep the germs at bay, but before I arrive at the airport or train station, I have put a thin coat of Neosporin on my nostrils and around my mouth, to trap bacteria. A tipI got from Rachel Zoe, that has helped improve my chances and reduce the risk of getting an airborne infection.

1 Like

For me will be conferencesโ€ฆ since I do these almost exclusively.

1. Knowing that I travel internationally often, I try to cut as much cost as possible. So, hostels will be my go-to places unless I get accommodations paid for.

2. Because these conferences are quite draining from an energy standpoint, I try to come a day or 2 early and leave a day or 2 later at least if they are not local. Of courseโ€ฆ I also have to consult my work schedule to make sure I can do that. That will help me adjust to my surroundings for the earlier and unwind for the latter.

2 Likes

I thought I was the only oneโ€ฆ If I can โ€œpad the tripโ€ to help adjust to the new time zone and recoup after the traveling which in and of itself can be challenging and trigger symptoms. What is the point of traveling to represent Patient Leaders and upon arrival be too ill to โ€œshow upโ€?

Does anyone else have suggestions or tips?

2 Likes

I started padding when I become a professional. After all, I have more autonomy with scheduling than being a student (since I have to go back to school ASAP). Getting used to surroundings is underrated when attending conferencesโ€ฆ even if you spend those pad days to do day tours.

And another thing- make sure the spacing between travels is manageable for you! Unless it is an ultra important conference to me, I will require a minimum of 3 weeks to recoup. I learned this the hard way in 2016. I had 2 pairs of conferences that were a week apart. I was on fumes on the end of these back-to-backโ€™s. After that year, I told myself, โ€œI will NEVER schedule conferences this way again.โ€

2 Likes

When traveling across time zones I shift my schedule to my destination time zone as soon as possible.

Generally my trips start with a 5-hour red eye. So I take my dinner meds before getting on the plane and try to sleep as much as possible. When I arrive I start my day with my breakfast routine.

4 Likes

When I travel packing a care pack diaper wipes change of clothes for day trips healthy snacks watch my diet eat as clean as I can.
Drive so I have more control of my environment and schedule.

2 Likes

This is interesting. Maybe because I am in LA, so sometimes I will prefer 6 am flightsโ€ฆ because the security line is quicker to navigate than other times at LAX.

2 Likes

I try to leave the day after travel home open, so I can rest and recoup. Iโ€™m typically wiped out. It sounds basic, but I wash my hands a lot when in airports, airplanes, trains, etcโ€ฆ Iโ€™ve also been taking Zicam (lots of Zinc) if I start to feel a cold coming on. It seems to help me and shortens the colds I do get. I must eat something substantial before taking Zicam since it makes my stomach sick if I donโ€™t eat anything.

3 Likes

Love this trip advice. Welcome and thank you.

1 Like

Thank You for sharing.

1 Like

Like many of us, my home is my comfort zone. I do most of my work sitting in bed with an alarm every so often to take a lap around the room.

Although I have yet to fly since getting a spinal cord stimulator, I have a preparation plan that includes the following:

1. Call the airline to update them on my situation (SCS), need for a wheelchair, assistance, etc.
  • Also note if you need to bypass the metal detectors and bring your identification card from the manufacturer.
  1. Make sure meds are in their original container (the rx bottle).
  • I only bring the amount of pills I need/am prescribed. (Ex: My trip is four days total. My prescription states to take pill x3/daily, so I will bring a total of 12 pills.)

If traveling by car, which I did a few weekends ago to attend my first healthcare conference, I do the following:

1. Call the hotel (or speak with the person booking the hotel) and request necessary accommodations.
  • Accommodation may include a room next to the elevator, metal bars in bathroom, etc.
  1. Bring your own snacks, drinks, pillows, and other miscellaneous thing you may need to be comfortable.

What other ideas do yโ€™all have?
-Rachel

2 Likes

Rachel,

I would add a few extra days of medication in the event that there are travel delays. Otherwise, I agree completely.

Amanda

1 Like

Thatโ€™s an excellent idea!! Thanks, Amanda!! (And wonderful job this month)

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I enjoy the community and moderating is a great way to get to know people I otherwise would not. :revolving_hearts:

1 Like

This is wonderful! Thank you amazing leaders for the important tips!:revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

Great tips to take into account for the new year & beyond! So important to be prepared.

2 Likes

The website Flyer Talk is handy for all things airlines. That said on the rare occasions I travel within the USA I look to Amtrak (the passenger train system in the USA) first because I like to go slower & if possible combine fun relaxed travel with the rare work travel I do

That said COVID-19 I expect will be changing up travel possibly permanently & hopefully for the better.

2 Likes

There are some really great tips here.
Thank you to everyone who shared.

1 Like

I always try to arrive the night before. that way i can have plenty of rest and time to calm m nerves โ€ฆ LOL ( really need to work on that one !!

2 Likes